Credits: Joan Tindale, Ken Edgar (Snr),
David Hoyle, Edna Dolphin.
Kay Halstead - Loan of 'South Craven the Official Guide'
Shops of the Past
Over many years the village
has seen a steady decline of retail shops as times and lifestyles change.
Listed below are the 'shops of the past' (and present) as well as trades
practiced in the village all from various sources. If anyone has further
information to contribute to these lists then please email
email@example.com The list is
by no means accurate, in date order, or anywhere near complete. Further
research is needed.
Cowling Shops of the Past (starting at Gill
|Miss. Annie Gott
||Pie & Peas Shop
(next door to above)
||Right hand side of
||General store (just
down from Co-op)
||Right hand side of
||Middle left hand
||Chip Shop (near
||Oat Cake shop -
Later became Joe Hemingway, General Dealer
||Clog maker and shoe
||Top house, Winkholme
|Mrs. Ike Hargreaves
||Next door to general
|Mr. Eric Green
||End of Park Road
||Family care shop,
previously plumbers (Alan Collier), electricians (John Everett Dawson), drapers and started life as a shoe
||Cowling Post Office
among others run by Freda Lonstaff and her Father Herbert from the
1930's to the 1970's.
||Butchers in one
half, sweet shop in the other.
on main road
||'The Tin Hut' - Drapers, formerly
corn merchant, John Greenwood plumbers and latterly drapers run by
||Barbers shop, later
a clothes shop run by Cynthia Butterfield
||Later became the
smallest Oxfam shop in the world, now demolished.
||Bakery. Formerly Mr.
John Bailey and prior to this run as Green's Bakers and Cafe.
Wine Bar, & Co-op supermarket. Co-op sold provinder for cattle
feed, coal, drapery in half of the ground floor. Upstairs was office
were all the dividends were recorded and paid out
||Next door to Tailors
||Main Road. Now
||Small window left of
||Now Pool room window
||Next door to Bay
||Below Croft Mill
||Wood Hut, next to
bottom Fish & Chip Shop. Hut built on Enoch Stephenson's land,
later became a bakers and general store owned by Selina Wright
||Fish & Chip Shop.
Hopkinson's owned the previous building, rebuilt by Bob & Annie Ogden,
later owned by Mr. & Mrs. Bob Speak, then Mr. & Mrs. Swinson's.
||Box Shop, later
Brigg's garage depot
||Post Office, with
||1 Lane Ends
||General store and
off licence. In the 1930's this was Frank Smith painters and
decorators, then Kershaw's general store in the 1950's. Later taken on
by Barney Simpson and his wife.
||Main Road, bottom of
Collinge Road. Now closed.
||Tailors, assisted by
his daughter Gladys
|Richard & Hetty
||Laundry. The well
outside the laundry was often used for drinking water. Other wells
were present at the bottom of Fold Lane, top of Park Lane and Acre
||Main Road. Richard's
brother Lionel was a director of the BBC, London.
||'Junk Shop' followed
the closure of the laundry on the same site.
||Bottom of Green
||Car Racing Co,
formerly TV shop & Godfrey's Greengrocers. Original greengrocer
was Mr. & Mrs. Whittam, followed by Sugden Walton.
||Grocers moved to
bottom of Green street, now closed.
||Butchers - Smith's
in the 1930's followed by Mitchel then George bailey and finally Mr. &
| John Greenwood
Blacksmith's & Plumber's merchants
|J.W.Carr & Co
Originally run by Annie Stephenson from the USA who married Jonas
Stephenson. Later became 'Duckworths' run by managers Frank Smith,
Dorothy Maitkin and Edna Dolphin under the name of 'Gower & Burgen'.
Godfrey greengrocers then took it on followed by a shop selling
domestic cleaning products.
||Bottom of Sun
street, later became Hairdresser's - June Kitson, and dentisit - Andy
Atkinson's in the 1930's, Beck's in the fifties. Mick & Muriel
Gallagher in the sixties, later Pat Duffey.
||Main road, now a
||Bakery. Later owned
by Handel Shackleton's, Straws, and later Edward Boocock.
||Bottom of Gibb
||Pie & Peas shop in
the 1930's, later became Milton Laycock's decorators, then
|Paul Scott, and
various other owners since
Scott married the famous J.B.Priestley's sister who taught at Cowling
Primary School for many years. Catherine & Alfred Smith followed Paul
||Bottom of Gibb
Street. Now recently closed business
previously a general dealers owned by two sisters (Laycock's), then
Horace & Doris Rushworth
||Main Road, Woodland
formerly Chemist. Owned by 'Snuffy' Richardson in the 1930's, then
Norman Leach till the 1970's.
||Main Road, Woodland
|Farrow, later owned
by Mr. Price
||48 Queen Street
Transcript of the entry of
"professions and trades" for COWLING in The Craven Household
Almanack Directory of 1911.
Trades and Professions:
Confectioner, New Street
Wheelwright, Lane Ends
BANNISTER W, Box
BINNS Mrs, Spring
BINNS Jno. & Son
BINNS T, Quarry
Owner, Knowle Hill
EMMOTT James, Park
EVERETT Carl, Fold
FISHER Thomas, Old
Bootmaker and Draper
GOTT Miss. A, Grocer
Blacksmith, New Roadside
Decorator, Rosebud Cottage
HARRISON F, Butcher,
HARTLEY John, Acre
HEATON Mrs, Grocer
HILL William, Bay
HELL A, Hairdresser
HIRD James, Fold
HOYLE Rd., Green
Spring Well Laundry
LEE Rev., JN, Vicar
LAYCOCK J, Sun
LAYCOCK E, Cab
LAYCOCK B, Sun
Tailor, New Street
OGDEN J, Quarry
Owner, Court House
PICLES Fred, Music
Teacher, Piano Dealer and Confectioner
RIDDIOUGH S, Farmer
RISHWORTH M, Bread
Manufacturer, Ickornshaw Mill
SMITH A, Scar View
SMITH Arthur, Baker,
SMITH Jno., Grocer
SMITH John, Colne
SMITH Ed., Farmer,
SNOWDEN E, Curator,
SNOWDEN Ben., Fould
SNOWDEN Jas., Fern
Cottage, Green Street
SNOWDEN Mrs. J.,
SNOWDEN Mrs, West
SNOWDEN Mrs. William,
SNOWDEN William, Sun
Farnill Ing Top
Cab Proprietor and Carrier
TEAL Mrs. A
TEAL W, Park Road
WADDINGTON D, Tailor
WALTON John, The
WATSON Mrs. Jas.,
WATSON J, Joiner
Grocer and Blacksmith, Ickornshaw
WATSON Thomas, Lane
WATSONS Ltd., Royd
WHITE Rev., BH,
WHITAKER Mrs, Garden
WHITTAKER Mrs, Gill
WHITAKER John, Colne
WHITAKER Jno., Sun
WRATHALL Mrs, Croft
Transcript of the entry of
'professions and trades' for COWLING in Baines's Directory and
Gazetteer Directory of 1822.
Wainman R. B. Esq. Carr head
Miscellany of trades
Bannister Stephen, wheelwright
Binns John, joiner & cabinet maker
Hudson Thomas, dyer
Watson Francis, tailor & grocer
Watson James, vict. Bay Horse
Watson Peter, cabinet maker
Nelson & Wilson
Smith William & Son
Laycock Jonas, to Manchester,
Thu. dep. 5 morn, ret. Sat. 5 evng.
Laycock Thomas, to Manchester
Mon. dep. 5 morn. ret. Wed. 6 evng.
Text Excerpts from the 1940's
'South Craven - The Official Guide'
Published by THE HOME PUBLISHING CO.
WM. BANNISTER & CO. LTD. Saw Mills,
The firm was founded by Mr. William Bannister in 1873
as joiners and cabinet makers. In 1874 he built a three-storey
workshop and showroom, the machines being driven
by a gas engine.
In 1912, owing to ill-health, he sold out to Mr. Bannister
Laycock and later the business was taken over by Mr.
Greenwood Brigg (who had served as an apprentice to
Wm. Bannister) and Mr. Shuttleworth Bannister. After
a fire in November, 1916, a firm of wheelwrights at Middle
JOHN BINNS &. SONS, LTD,
The firm of John Binns & Sons. Ltd., was founded at
Cowling in 1852 by John Binns, farmer and carrier, who,
following the making of the new road from Yorkshire into
Lancashire, built a weaving factory and was the first
to introduce power looms into the district.
The new mill was engaged in the worsted trade and gradually
expanded, the firm becoming well known as
weavers of blue serge There are early records of the
Company's advertising " The Pennine range of serges."
The Founder took his two sons into the business and on his
death they carried on in partnership until this was
dissolved by one of them building another mill. This new
mill was later purchased and merged into the existing
Up to the beginning of the present century further
extensions were carried out and in 1902 the Company
recorded their first purchase of what was then known as
Artificial Silk yarn. This continued to be used in increasing
quantities for decoration and the increase became very considerable during
the late 1920's. In the year 1932 the
Company decided to concentrate on rayon and silk weaving
only. A considerable quantity of new plant had by this
time been purchased and re-equipment was continued until
when both factories were fully engaged on the weaving
of silk and rayon.
Further developments have taken place since the conclusion
of the last war. A new factory has been established
at Aycliffe, nr. Darlington, the Company has become a
Public Company and also acquired the Headen Weaving
Co., Ltd., Addey Lord & Co., Ltd., and Bennetts Fabrics
Ltd., all of Manchester.
The combined organisation is now established as the
largest firm of rayon fabric manufacturers in Yorkshire and
one of the most up-to-date productive and distributive
in Home Trade and Export. The Company is known
throughout the Rayon Trade for the excellence of its
productions in Satins and Crepe.
GILL STANSFIELD & SONS, Royd Mills, Cowling
These Mills (known as THE OLD BOAK), were acquired
by Messrs Gill Stansfield & Sons of Nelson, early 1912,
and were equipped with new and up-to-date weaving
plant for the manufacture of Cotton and Rayon Linings, and
trimmings for the hosiery trade.
In 1920, the old beam engine was replaced by a new
modern steam engine and boiler, and electric lighting plant.
Throughout the past 37 years, the mills have been in
constant production (except during the war years 1941 to
1946), under the management (until his death, Feb. 1947) of
the resident Partner Mr. (Jim) J. W. Stansfield.
The mills are now under the management of Mr. Maurice
Winterbottom, assisted by Mr. James Metcalfe.
All employment enquiries to Mr. Winterbottom.
JOHN HARTLEY (COWLING) LTD.
Acre Shed, Cowling
The business was established in 1863 by Mr. John
Hartley, as a Cotton Manufacturer at Royd Mills, Cowling.
In 1880 he built and equipped the present mills at Acre
Shed, Cowling. In 1911, with his two sons in partnership, he
made the business a Limited Company. After his death
in 1914 the business was carried on by the family until
1919, when Mr. James Bailey entered into partnership
with Mr. Watson 'Hartley.
Mr. Watson Hartley retired from the partnership in
1928, and the business was left entirely in the hands of
Mr. James Bailey and his son. After Mr. Bailey's death in
1946, Mr. Frank William Bailey became Managing Director.
His wife, the grand-daughter of the founder, is also a
The business has developed from Cottons and Worsteds to the
making of high class Rayon fabrics in plain and
Jacquard weaves. The plant has been adapted to modern
requirements, and has capacity for employing about 120 operatives.
HOLMES, GOLDRICH &. CO. LTD.
Ickornshaw Mills, Cowling
In the year 1791 a Mr. John Dehane
erected and built a Mill for the purpose of spinning cotton
in the way and manner as is now used and practised, at a
place called Holgate Bridge in Ickornshaw." This is an
extract from an agreement dated September 16th, 1791,
whereby the landowners of Ickornshaw agreed to the
erection of damstones across Ickornshaw Beck to ensure a
supply of water for the Mill
. " without any molestation
or disturbance now or hereafter from us or any of our
successors." The present buildings were erected about the
year 1884 after a fire had destroyed a large part of the
original structure, and internal improvements and
modernisation have been effected during recent years.
A water wheel was originally used for motive power, this
later being augmented by steam engine until 1937, when
the water wheel was dismantled. A modern
installed in 1942 and the present firm is engaged in the production of high
class Silk and Rayon fabrics with 200 looms and employing about 130