Spring Meetings 2014/15:
Thursday March 6th & 2nd April – Bancroft Room, St Andrew’s Methodist Church. All welcome, refreshments served. 7.30-9.15 pm
Thuesday 2nd April – New Display Board Plan & Census Record Search
Thursday 7th May – Cowling Hill Graveyard Survey.
Members Visit to Earby Mining Museum 23/03/15 – meet at St Andrew’s at 10.00am.
NEWS IN BRIEF: 2013/14
2014 April Archive wrapping completed.
May Visit to Cowling Hill Baptist chapel
June Commencement of indexing of archives
July Commencement of recording of parish historic buildings/ sites at Cowling Hill
August Meeting cancelled due to unavailability of members
September Inside meetings recommence
October/November/December – Indexing of Archives and programme planning for 2015
2015 January Programme finalised
February, March – Quarrying and Mining
A big welcome to our Moonrakers website.
This is our second site, built after the first webmaster was unable to maintain the old site due to pressure of work. Our thanks go to him for his hard work.
We therefore went for a new look site, which continues to develop. The intention is to keep you up to date with the latest Moonrakers local research, history stories and events. Our hope is to have various contributors bringing energy and a wealth of experience to our sharing of information and historic adventure. We hopefully might even give you a laugh on the way.
We have decided to run the two websites side by side. Therefore the information on the old website will stay there. Historic pictures of Cowling can be browsed in the old site’s gallery.
So its onward and upward and into the future – or should that be into the past? Enjoy your visit to Moonrakers and please keep returning to watch us progress.
Mark Barnes, Chairman
Our research topic for February and March is mining and quarrying in Cowling Parish. The group studied information on 19th century coal mining at Reedshaw in the far west of the parish, on the Lancashire boarder. This was in an area now flooded by the eastern end of the reservoir there. We also have statistics regarding a trial lead mine at Gill Bottom in the 19th century. A spoil heap for this mine is still evident by the roadside, on the left before the disused cottages, when travelling NE on Shop Lane. The mine however was and still is on private land, with no access now available. The information for both mines was provided by Mike Gill of Sutton-in-Craven.
We have however very little quarrying information. We know there was a large quarry at Earl’s Crag in the 19th century and that Dick Lane actually stopped as it entered the quarry and then continued after it. We however have no dates, statistics or name of owner. There were also important quarries at Knoll Hill and Mires Close in the 19th century, but again we have no information. It is said that stone went from one of these quarries to build a dock at Heysham in Morecambe Bay. We know there were also several other smaller quarries. If anyone has any information regarding quarrying or mining in Cowling please get in touch.
The wonderful news at our January meeting was that a programme for 2015 was agreed. This means we have a varied focus for the year. This will include two research projects, with two museum visits to stimulate this work. The possibility of a guest speaker is also being pursued. Alongside this will be outdoor research in the summer, continuing our recording of historic sites and religious building in the parish. In addition new display boards are planned.
The meeting conclude with a discussion of the condition of the Snowden Memorial, which was erected by the will of the village population approximately eighty years ago and whose upkeep was vested in the Parish Council.
The great news from our point of view is that our archives are now sorted and indexed after many months work. In the New Year we will place a list of these on our website. They can then be viewed on request. A small charge may be made if items are borrowed.
The completion of this work took up all the December meeting time. We can now look forward to 2015 and decisions to be made about future projects and visits for the year.
We should draw attention below to the change of date for our January meeting, due to the first Thursday of the month being on the Bank Holiday. Happy New Year to all Cowling parishioners.
Information received from members of Cowling Hill Baptists referred to in September 2015 News item.
My information came from a book ” The Baptists of Yorkshire 1912 ” being the Centenary Memorial Volume of the Yorkshire Baptist Association.
Chapter 2 deals with the Churches originating from the Rossendale Church, which was the outcome of the evangelistic labours of two Yorkshire men, William Mitchel and David Crossley. Mitchel and Crossley were cousins by nature, brothers by grace and fellow labourers in the Lord’s vineyard. They were born at Heptonstall near Hebden Bridge in 1662 and 1669 respectfully.
1687 or 1688 was the date the two men began their joint labours of evangelisation and by 1691 Mitchel can speak of having ” above twenty licensed places ” and of having continued his ministry ” in a matter of forty miles compass to the good and conversion of many. ” According to the Rev. F. Overend of Bacup, Cowling Hill was one of those licensed houses.
In 1692 the first building for worship was erected in Bacup primarily ” for the use and behalf of Mitchel and Crossley, for and during their natural lives “-Mitchel died in 1705 prematurely old and worn out ” fitly termed our patron Saint “. Crossley lived until 1744 but was something of a controversial figure albeit one of the most popular Calvanistic preachers in the country.
The first entry for Cowling Hill starts at the foot of page 95. ” Here also Crossley and Mitchel labured. ” When in about 1724 when Bacup became a separate church, Cowling Hill was attached thereto and it was supplied for many years by preachers from Bacup and by John Nuttall of Lumb whose visits meant a journey of thirty miles and whose labours were remunerated at a rate of half a crown a Sunday. In 1756 Cowling Hill became a separate church.
The remainder of the article covers the history that we already have. However it does say that ” The Association Letter of 1842 says that the Keighley, Earby and Hellifield Churches had their origin in part from Cowling Hill. ” Also that Cowling Hill was an important village on an ancient route from Lancaster to York.
The indexing of archives, for easier retrieval of information continued in November. It is anticipated that the task will be completed next month.
The group then heard about a new local history book about the boundaries of Sutton Township. Some new artefacts given by a parishioner were passed round for examination.
Further progress was made planning our meetings programme for 2015. The meeting ended with two members offering to enquire about two history related group visits. One was to Earby Mining Museum and the other to a Burnley textile mill museum.
In October our local history group commenced the indexing of archives, for easier retrieval of information. It is anticipated that a few month’s meeting time will be taken up with this task.
News was received of some old Wainman family letters from Carr Head Hall, which we hope to view soon. An archive loan revue was carried out and a member appointed to be responsible for archive loans. Finally more time was spent on our programme of meetings/work for 2014/15.
In August our meeting was cancelled due to members being unavailable and therefore there was no August report.
As we had not had an inside meeting since June there was much local history news to catch up on at the September meeting. The most interesting of this was a communication from a member of Cowling Hill Baptists. A preacher had given them significant information from “The Baptists of Yorkshire 1912” book. This gave far more detail than was previously known about the background to and setting up of Cowling Hill Baptists in 1724. It also stated that “Keighley, Earby and Hellifield churches had their origin in part from Cowling Hill. The full communication will be displayed on this website soon entitled ‘Cowling Hill Baptists – Origins’
Another communication reported was from a member of the Atkinson family of Laneshaw House (now demolished), in response to our earlier request for information. This gave new detail about the family and about other houses that previously existed in the Green Syke area of the parish.
A request for information about the late David Hoyle, as an artist, was discussed following one of his paintings being purchased in Suffolk. There was a viewing of photos taken at Cowling Hill in July, to commence our recording of historic sites in the parish. Also
discussed were a WW1 commemoration update, boundary changes and listed buildings and a wind turbine request
July saw us return to Cowling Hill, to follow up our Baptist Chapel visit, with a commencement of our recording of parish historical sites both photographically and in print.
We must thank two residents for helping us with much information. This included:
A date for the building of the last inn that stood at Cowling Hill and its exact location
The exact site of the Pinfold (pound for stray animals before 18/19C land enclosure)
Possible sites for Benton Gap Farm
Photographs of many buildings and structures were taken to record what was still there in 2014.
Cowling Hill(or Head) is one of the two oldest settlements in our parish, with Ickornshaw and could date back to or before Domesday Book 1086 as Cowling parish appears in this. It was situated on the main road from Glusburn to Colne until the early 19th century. The road is known as the Old York Road which signifies its importance as a thoroughfare, possibly between the ancient centres of York and Lancaster with its regular stage coach route. It is therefore much older than the present 19th century village and where the term ‘Cowinheeaders’ comes from.
In August we will continue out study of religious buildings at Middleton Chapel and recording the historic sites at Gill and Middleton.
In June the group commenced indexing our archive documents that we had sorted and preserved in previous months. This will continue at our next St Andrew’s meeting.
A report was given of our participation in the Holy Trinity Flower Festival. We were glad that we could be involved in such a successful fund raising activity. Thanks must go to the hard working organisers of the event.
The group heard that a document loans register had been set up. It was then agreed how this should operate. All documents in our archive can be viewed or loaned. A loan deposit may be requested.
A discussion of our Cowling Hill Baptist Church visit followed, with a viewing of photos taken. It was agreed that this had been a very fruitful meeting and was leading to more information coming in, which we shall share soon. Thanks go once again to the Baptist members for their hospitality.
We have two aims for this summer’s off site meetings. Our Cowling Hill Baptist visits started the first one – to visit parish religious buildings. In July we are beginning our second aim by returning to Cowling Hill – to record parish historic buildings/sites. Please see below for details.
Our May meeting, at Cowling Hill Baptist Chapel was our first offsite one of the year. It proved to be a wonderful experience. Two members made us extremely welcome. They began by showing us the baptistery that took the place of baptisms outside, in Surgill Beck pool. We were shown old records, photos, bibles and crockery used for teas. Our many questions were answered and rich conversation about the chapel and Cowling Hill (or Head) went on for two hours. After which it was expressed that the time had passed too quickly.
We not only added to our knowledge of the chapel, but Cowling Hill area as well. We were told that 1724 was the date when a minister, from Bacup, Lancs, commenced serving the population of Cowling Hill, riding between the two townships. This is about 200 years before the commencement of the modern village of Cowling. Cowling Hill would then have been a thriving village, with shops, cottages, one or two inns, farms, possibly a hand-loom weaving workshop, a windmill, other workshops and a green. It was served by stage coaches going between Yorkshire and Lancashire. The road was known as the York Road and there was possibly a set of cottages of the same name. In January 1753 Hugh Tillotson leased land to the Baptists for the building of their chapel (Gulliver 2011). We were given, at our visit, a copy of the letter from Cowling Hill Baptists to the Church at Bacup, in 1756, requesting their independence because of “the distance we live from one another and the inconvenience of our ministerial supplies.” So commenced the independent Cowling Hill Baptists. This year they will be able to celebrate 290 years of ministry and in 2016, 260 years of independence. We thank them for continuing to show excellent hospitality. We also thank another local historian, formerly of Cowling, for communicating with us extra information about Cowling Hill and its Baptists.