Our research topic for February and March is mining and quarrying in Cowling Parish. The group studied information on 19th century coal mining at Reedshaw in the far west of the parish, on the Lancashire boarder. This was in an area now flooded by the eastern end of the reservoir there. We also have statistics regarding a trial lead mine at Gill Bottom in the 19th century. A spoil heap for this mine is still evident by the roadside, on the left before the disused cottages, when travelling NE on Shop Lane. The mine however was and still is on private land, with no access now available. The information for both mines was provided by Mike Gill of Sutton-in-Craven.
We have however very little quarrying information. We know there was a large quarry at Earl’s Crag in the 19th century and that Dick Lane actually stopped as it entered the quarry and then continued after it. We however have no dates, statistics or name of owner. There were also important quarries at Knoll Hill and Mires Close in the 19th century, but again we have no information. It is said that stone went from one of these quarries to build a dock at Heysham in Morecambe Bay. We know there were also several other smaller quarries. If anyone has any information regarding quarrying or mining in Cowling please get in touch.
Information received from members of Cowling Hill Baptists referred to in September 2015 News item.
My information came from a book ” The Baptists of Yorkshire 1912 ” being the Centenary Memorial Volume of the Yorkshire Baptist Association.
Chapter 2 deals with the Churches originating from the Rossendale Church, which was the outcome of the evangelistic labours of two Yorkshire men, William Mitchel and David Crossley. Mitchel and Crossley were cousins by nature, brothers by grace and fellow labourers in the Lord’s vineyard. They were born at Heptonstall near Hebden Bridge in 1662 and 1669 respectfully.
1687 or 1688 was the date the two men began their joint labours of evangelisation and by 1691 Mitchel can speak of having ” above twenty licensed places ” and of having continued his ministry ” in a matter of forty miles compass to the good and conversion of many. ” According to the Rev. F. Overend of Bacup, Cowling Hill was one of those licensed houses.
In 1692 the first building for worship was erected in Bacup primarily ” for the use and behalf of Mitchel and Crossley, for and during their natural lives “-Mitchel died in 1705 prematurely old and worn out ” fitly termed our patron Saint “. Crossley lived until 1744 but was something of a controversial figure albeit one of the most popular Calvanistic preachers in the country.
The first entry for Cowling Hill starts at the foot of page 95. ” Here also Crossley and Mitchel labured. ” When in about 1724 when Bacup became a separate church, Cowling Hill was attached thereto and it was supplied for many years by preachers from Bacup and by John Nuttall of Lumb whose visits meant a journey of thirty miles and whose labours were remunerated at a rate of half a crown a Sunday. In 1756 Cowling Hill became a separate church.
The remainder of the article covers the history that we already have. However it does say that ” The Association Letter of 1842 says that the Keighley, Earby and Hellifield Churches had their origin in part from Cowling Hill. ” Also that Cowling Hill was an important village on an ancient route from Lancaster to York.
In August our meeting was cancelled due to members being unavailable and therefore there was no August report.
As we had not had an inside meeting since June there was much local history news to catch up on at the September meeting. The most interesting of this was a communication from a member of Cowling Hill Baptists. A preacher had given them significant information from “The Baptists of Yorkshire 1912” book. This gave far more detail than was previously known about the background to and setting up of Cowling Hill Baptists in 1724. It also stated that “Keighley, Earby and Hellifield churches had their origin in part from Cowling Hill. The full communication will be displayed on this website soon entitled ‘Cowling Hill Baptists – Origins’
Another communication reported was from a member of the Atkinson family of Laneshaw House (now demolished), in response to our earlier request for information. This gave new detail about the family and about other houses that previously existed in the Green Syke area of the parish.
A request for information about the late David Hoyle, as an artist, was discussed following one of his paintings being purchased in Suffolk. There was a viewing of photos taken at Cowling Hill in July, to commence our recording of historic sites in the parish. Also
discussed were a WW1 commemoration update, boundary changes and listed buildings and a wind turbine request