Home > Uncategorized > Historic Parish Road Systems

Historic Parish Road Systems

April 27th, 2016

Our February meeting centred mainly on a discussion of old road systems in the parish.

 This was stimulated by a document given to us, which was a copy of talk given on the topic over thirty years ago. The main aspects of interest were Jeffrey’s map of 1745, the workings and naming of the Turnpike Trust system, the Blackburn-Addingham- Cocking End turnpike, toll booth positions and William Moore’s Causeway.

An old scene from a Turnpike Gate.

An old scene from a Turnpike Gate.

Finally monumental inscriptions at both Cowling Hill Baptists and Holy Trinity Church were briefly discussed along with planned visits to record offices.

Categories: Uncategorized